Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tanya Lee Stone's Picture Book List





















Tanya Lee Stone is the author of many books for children and young adults, including the picture books Elizabeth Leads the Way, illustrated by Rebecca Gibson, and Sandy's Circus, illustrated by the great Boris Kulikov. A forthcoming picture book called Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors? is being illustrated by Marjorie Priceman. Just on the shelves now is her The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie. A Doll's History and her Impact on Us. 

Here's Tanya's list:

These are not ranked in any particular order and include favorites I have shared with my kids, as well as books I teach to writing students.

- DON'T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS
by Mo Willems. 
The single easiest way to show voice to students.

 -A HOUSE IS A HOUSE FOR ME by Mary Ann Hoberman, illustrated by Betty Fraser.
I keep buying copies of this, I probably have 11.

- KITTEN'S FIRST FULL MOON by Kevin Henkes. 
Just kind of perfect.

- BARK, GEORGE by Jules Feiffer. 
Laugh out loud every time.

- WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE by Maurice Sendak. 
Given to me as a baby and cherished ever since.

- HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON by Crockett Johnson.
Heavily influenced my childhood.

- CLICK, CLACK, MOO: COWS THAT TYPE by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Betsy Lewin. 
Hilarious and brilliant.

- HARRY THE DIRTY DOG by Gene Zion, illustrated by Margaret Graham. 
Another childhood favorite, the pictures are burned in my memory.


















- THE MAN WHO WALKED BETWEEN THE TOWERS by Mordicai Gerstein. 
Elegant, beautiful, poignant.

- MILLIONS OF CATS by Wanda Gág. 
The beginning of it all!

2 comments:

  1. So many favorites here. Great list, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent list, Tanya. :) Makes me smile.

    Sergio, I write picture books and MG novels. Prepubbed writer am I. Querying agents, though. *fingers crossed* I started out writing picture books. I have several completed.

    Super blog. :)

    ReplyDelete